Having spent the past few days in Congleton, today we moved on. During our stay we have enjoyed several walks around the area, including a walk along the Biddulph Valley Way. This was a former railway used to carry freight between Biddulph and Congleton. It was dismantled c 1927, and now forms a scenic walk along the side of the valley between the two towns.
We also visited Congleton town centre with its impressive range of shops, and even more imposing town hall. We had lunch at a small Italian deli, and in the warm sunshine it had a Mediterranean feel to it.
Sunday lunch had been taken at the Railway Inn close to the canal. We have eaten there a couple of times and the food was exceptional. They are also dog friendly, but this time four legs stayed on the boat.
We allowed the overnight rain to clear before setting off for Scholar Green shortly after breakfast. Just prior to our intended mooring spot we stopped at Heritage Narrowboats hirebase for services. After securing the boat and having lunch, we walked across the fields towards the hamlet of Moreton. We had several hundred cow pats to negotiate on our way, the furry crew member’s nose seemed to find most of them. The reason for our cross country trudge was to visit Little Moreton Hall. This is a 15th century half timbered house with moat, and given its top heavy construction it’s a wonder it is still standing after 500 years.
The property was unfortunately closed to the public today, but beyond the huge wooden front door, peering through the keyhole, we could see a glimpse of the courtyard within.